Monday, February 27, 2012

GAD311 - Pirate Concepts, Round 4 (WIN 2011)

Navigation Captain - Portrait Sketch

Charisma Captain - Inked Portrait

Starting to experiment with various color choices for the Nav Captain. Far more subtle options this time around, as we all were pretty much in agreement that a blue/tan sort of color scheme made the most sense.







I originally designed him to have a blue coat and brown pants, but now that I'm looking at each option, I'm actually preferring the brown coat with the blue pants. However, this feels a bit like the focus is on the pants, since the other colors are pretty neutral overall, so I'm trying out a few collar options to try and draw some color up toward the face again. With the blues, I think orange works best for the tattoo color - it's not too jarring against his skin, but still stands out well as an accent color to the blues and browns.

Also, I originally drew him to have bracers instead of gloves, but with the sleeveless coat, I figured he might benefit from full gloves, so a few of the options reflect gloves vs. bracers.

I also tried out some black leathers instead of the brown, but overall, I feel the brown just flows better with the other colors since there's already quite a bit of brown in the design.

So far, I'm leaning toward the first at the top of this post: Brown coat, blue pants & collar, with brown leathers - I think the question now is... gloves vs. bracers?

 * Final decision for the Loyalty Captain *

Everyone unanimously voted on the red, and the tan sash and brown leathers were also agreed upon.
This meant the blonde hair option, and the orange was deemed to be a good accent overall for the leggings. A few other ideas were tossed around, such as green leggings - but I felt this might look a bit too peppermint striped with the red and white. We voted to change her pendant to a green stone instead of purple to give it that pop of color that's unique up near her face, and it looks like we're all set on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment